whim: an odd or capricious notion or desire; a sudden or freakish fancy

Thursday, March 21, 2013

on not having a phone

When I lost my phone last Friday, I panicked a lot less than I thought I would.

Don't get me wrong, the thought of spending $whoknowshowmuch to get my phone replaced makes me want to cry, or vomit, or both; but overall, I'm not distraught.

Part of me likes the idea of not having a phone––it's an attractive thought, not being readily accessible to other people.

Not that I don't like other people. I love (most...okay, some) people.

Also, not that I don't have three email addresses and a Facebook account anyway (three?! really, though, it's ridiculous).

But the same part of me that likes not having a phone also likes the idea of escaping to a remote cabin in the woods without internet, television, or cell phone coverage. And just reading.

I don't want this to turn into a "boo on technology" post.

Because I love playing Bejeweled Diamond Mine, watching Project Runway, and spending way too much time on Buzzfeed.

But on occasion, it's nice to have break from these things.

I think next time I want a break, though, I'll shut my phone off instead of losing it.

Smarter move.


1 comment:

  1. btw, i was super offended that you weren't texting me back the whole weekend was i was EXTREMELY curious about how everything went. until mom told me you lost your phone. now i'm over it :)

    i get this way sometimes, too. just wanting to turn everything OFF! but really...i'm glad we have phones. i miss you too much as it is. let me know when you're accessible again ;)

    ReplyDelete